Saturday, February 9, 2013

OverTone PTC-2A Review - Nice Pultec EQP-1A Clone


Let me briefly give you a quick run down on one of my very best-est, favorite-est 'secret ingredient' EQ plugins.

I really like this EQ. It's light on system resources and is just plumb attractive (in an ol' skool, knobby hardware kinda way). I really like the rich, dark blue color. The knobs match the period that the 'real' Pultec EQP-1A originates from, authentically.

It sounds GREAT too!


Smooth controls. Nicely sized. Sounds great. I honestly do get a strong perception of authentic, analogue quality from this plugin. OverTone have indeed developed a GREAT Pultec emulation with this jobbie.




I've been in the habit of adding this EQ to kick drum tracks, lately. Have you ever heard of the "Kick trick"? Some folks call it the "Low end trick". In a nutshell, you simply dial in a moderate lowend bandwidth (I typically use a value of 2), set the frequency to 60hz, set the boost knob at 11:00 or 12:00. Set the low cut to 11:00 or 12:00. On the high end side, set HF at 3Khz or 4Khz. Boost by 3 or 4 dB. Attenuate by equal number of decibels with the attenuation selector set at 5Khz.

Now listen to that kick drum. Whomp!

I often follow the PTC-2A with my trusty DDMF IIEQPro, and add a narrow, negative 3dB decrement at 120hz. This is a nice "Nashville" technique to keep a bass guitar better defined in a mix.

I've also been using this plugin on certain piano tracks. In particular, NI Upright Piano samples. By using some creative push/pull on the upper frequencies, the piano begins to hop vibrantly in the mix. I don't touch the piano's low end too much. Especially on this type of instrument, the PTC-2A adds very pleasant EQ; full of analogue-like character. Honest, kids - My ears really are tricked into thinking that there are tubes in my computer. *grin

I also own IKM's Pultec emulator and while I like it very much, I tend to reach for the OverTone just as often. These funny, Linux-based, bunch of programming laddios from England, have captured "something" - the essence, if you will - with the sound of this nice little pluggie that just seems to massage my eardrums better than many of the other more costly Pultec clones that are availble.

A faithful, to-be-had emulation of the legendary Pultec EQP-1A.

Available in 32bit & 64bit for both MAC and PC.

Priced fairly at £25

No comments:

Post a Comment